Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Smartie

I have to post this to remind myself of it in the future, when frustrations arrive. I guess I don't give our precious son enough credit, because though he is mischevious, he is also a pretty intelligent kid. I replaced the batteries in his old (Audrey's new) baby gym this morning so that Samuel could help Audrey play the music - we spend a lot of time getting him to "help" with things, so he feels involved and feels good about it. Anyway, I had to use the screwdriver to open up the battery compartment and I put it back in the drawer after I used it. When I was feeding Audrey a little while later, I heard a drawer opening in the kitchen, where I knew Samuel had gone, but I figured it was the utensil drawer because he loves to take the can opener out and put it back. I didn't see anything out of place when I finally got to the kitchen, so I figured he had replaced whatever he had removed. Later on, I needed the screwdriver again, to replace the batteries in another toy, and I couldn't find it. I was very sure that I had put it back, but I question my memory nowadays, as it's failed me many times since having children. Samuel came in the kitchen while I was searching for the screwdriver, and I asked him if he had gone in that particular drawer, because I needed the screwdriver and I was pretty sure I had put it back in there earlier. He said, "Where'd it go?" which is his favorite phrase to say when something's missing or hidden, and then he went into the living room and said, "There it is!" and brought the screwdriver to me! Although I wish that he wouldn't have relocated it in the first place, I was really impressed that he did that, since he loves to pretend that he doesn't understand me in situations like that. I guess I shouldn't be too terribly surprised, since he does understand what we're saying to him even though he doesn't choose to speak that much. He's my sweet boy.

No comments: