Friday, September 26, 2008

Trial Run

Yesterday Brad went to work for about 4 1/2 hours, which left me alone with both kids for the first time. I wasn't too scared, and it didn't turn out that badly (I am, however, scared about being with them by myself all day). My main concern was trying to get some sort of nap in at some point. Audrey slept most of the time, only waking up twice to eat. Samuel had fallen asleep in his high chair before Brad left, so that messed up his normal nap routine. He only ended up sleeping for maybe 45 minutes and he woke up as soon as the garage door opened for Brad to leave. We had a fun time together, spending most of it working on his new ball popper. He put a ball in it that was just big enough to fit in the opening but too big to come back out, and I couldn't get it out for the life of me. I took everything apart that didn't require a screwdriver and considered going the next step, but Brad managed to knock out a ball that had been lodged in it when we bought it, so I told Samuel we should just wait for Daddy. He was fine with that, but he still wanted to work on it himself and proceeded to do what he could by banging on it with his fists and making various frustrated grunting noises. It was quite cute. He probably did that for a total of two of the hours that Brad was gone. He also helped me with some laundry and I eventually convinced him to cuddle with me and read his favorite book, "Llama Llama, Red Pajama." We read it about 4 or 5 times and then he finally fell asleep. We napped for about 45 minutes before Audrey woke up, and then Brad called to say he was headed home. I was still pretty sleepy, but of course, you make it somehow.

We received a yummy supper from a sweet lady from church, but poor Audrey vomited all over herself and me while Diane was dropping it off - that pretty much eliminated any chance that she would want to hold her! They quickly left so we could get cleaned up - the saddest part was that I had literally just put those clothes on, fresh from the dryer, because I don't have that much that I can wear right now. So is life with a newborn! At least it was on the couch this time, and not the bed or all over Brad, which were the other locations for vomiting this week. The couch is easy to clean thanks to Scotch Guard (yay 3M!). We enjoyed the delicious meal and then got to watch the season premiere of our favorite show, The Office! Even Samuel enjoyed it, and he used to just scream and scream every time he heard Michael Scott/Steve Carrell's voice (back when he was a little older than Audrey is now). We got some pretty good rest - I didn't have to wake Brad up for help even once for the first time - and we're going to have one last family outing before Brad goes back to work full time on Monday. I love family time.

No comments: